Prom season again

It's that time of year again, and after missing all the (musical) fun last year Owen will be playing in Prom 16 tomorrow: CBSO, Tchaikovsky 2nd piano concerto & The Firebird. Funnily enough, Katy was exposed to a lot of Stravinsky even in the womb, as I was rehearsing Rite of Spring just about the time her ears started to work (according to the literature), and one of our last performances as patrons was to see various ballets (e.g. Pulcinella) at the Lowry Centre - although by that stage I was so heavily pregnant we had to leave early before I was overcome by the heat in the theatre.

She is extraordinarily responsive to music - and that's not just us being wishful doting parents. Whenever she hears a tune she likes, she starts making bobbing dance movements, or clapping her hands, or even 'singing along' if it's in a key/register that appeals to her. Recently she's started singing a simple song of her own, based around a descending perfect fourth - with some variations, but remarkably consistently produced. (I don't have perfect pitch, but I think it's always in the same key too.) At bedtime I often read her a story but always sing her a lullaby, and last night when I asked "Shall Mama sing you a song?" she immediately launched into her own little tune - which presumably means that not only does she understand some of the words I'm using, but has also decided that her own activity should be designated "singing a song".

Comments

rjk said…
Sorry, I meant Petrushka. A persistent mental misconnection.

Popular posts from this blog

Close encounters of the furred kind

Opinion polls

An eye for an eye, and ...